Founded in 1865, Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr (SHA) is an international, independent, all-girls, K-12, Catholic school on the Main Line.
Sacred Heart Academy is a proud member of the International Network of Sacred Heart Schools.
Accreditation and Associations
- Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (MSACS)
- Membership with Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
- Membership with Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Membership with our domestic and international Network of Sacred Heart Schools
- Top Independent School - Philadelphia Business Journal
- Main Line Parent Community Member
Sacred Heart Academy (SHA) was founded by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1865. Lay-owned and governed since 1969, the school is a member of the Network of twenty-four Sacred Heart Schools in the United States and Canada. The schools that comprise this Network are committed to the goals and criteria envisioned by founder St. Madeleine Sophie Barat.
SHA educates college-bound women by cultivating their self-confidence, guiding them to realize their personal and scholastic potential and their responsibility to others, and by preparing them to meet life’s challenges - all within an academic and religiously diverse community that focuses on spiritual values and the individual student.
As a member of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools, Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr commits itself to educate:
- to a personal and active faith in God;
- to a deep respect for intellectual values;
- to a social awareness which impels to action;
- to the building of community as a Christian value; and
- to personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
Sacred Heart Academy is faithful to the goals of a Sacred Heart education: to produce self-confident women, to provide a challenging intellectual education, to develop a love of God, and to create a desire to help others.
A holistic approach to learning seeks to respond to the academic, aesthetic, athletic, spiritual, social, and emotional needs of each girl with a curriculum well grounded in basic and special courses.
The Sacred Heart academic program is rooted in the liberal arts taught in contemporary ways. It empowers girls to develop their potential as scholars and leaders.
The school is a Catholic school with a tradition of ecumenism, welcoming the enrichment that students, faculty, and parents of all faiths offer. By its religious education program, the school seeks to foster open-mindedness and reverence for differences.
Statement of Religious Policy
SHA is a private, independent school under the auspices of the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The religious traditions, beliefs and practices of students who are not Roman Catholic are appreciated and respected in accord with the spirit of the Vatican Council Declarations on religious freedom, ecumenism and with the relationship of the Church with non-Christian religions. The religious preferences of everyone are respected, but all students are required to attend all religious classes and liturgical celebrations.
- Founder's Award
- Goal 3
- Upper School
- Affordable Tuition
- Lower School
- Start Extraordinary